Living with asbestos is not likely to be hazardous. However, certain conditions are applied to get such level of safety. However, if you haven’t realised the asbestos danger lurking behind your back, you’d better start to gain some information on the level of threat that may put you at a risk of exposure. The best way to do this is by taking an Asbestos testing Perth procedure.
However, you can find so much information regarding to what you should do to get the asbestos testing Perth right since the first attempt. Well, you don’t have to go the trouble to find the right information about asbestos testing Perth because you have come to the right place.
So, what you have to know first?
The first thing that should come to your attention is how asbestos can actually endanger yourself. And asbestos-containing material consists of thousands of deadly fibres. When these fibres are entering the body through breathing, they will stick to the internal linings of the organ and create damages for a long time. The damages can stay for many years without showing any signs of illnesses. One of the longest damaging processes ever known is 70 years
When the signs of illnesses start to appear, many health practitioners consider this condition as a death sentence for the sufferer. Knowing the risk of asbestos that can affect someone’s life in such a dreadful way, you should realise that asbestos contamination problem is not something you would take easily.
What ‘s next?
It’s time for you to know your place better. Does your house use asbestos in some of the structure? Well, you won’t know it for sure since an asbestos-containing material has an amazing resemblance to other non-asbestos material. That’s why you are going to need help from the expert.
However, you can take the easy step first. This step requires you to investigate the history of your property. As a simple guideline, you can follow the criteria below:
- A building that was made before mid-1989 has a big chance to use one or more of asbestos.
- While the one made between mid 1989 to the end of the year is likely to have some ACM.
- Modern buildings made after the 1990s are considered to be contaminated by the harmful fibres.
In some occasion, you may also find some building materials with an asbestos label on it. The label is strong evidence that you home have been contaminated by the deadly fibres. However, this history tracking method doesn’t provide a comprehensive identification result.
The best way to fully understand which part of the structure that actually has been contaminated, you must take an asbestos testing Perth service for more detailed analysis.
But, why should it be an asbestos testing Perth service? You can take a DIY testing kit and do it yourself. But, you may run into some trouble in the practice.
- You have no idea which part of the house you want to test since in most cases, the ACM has no label attached.
- You will put yourself in some danger of exposure if you don’t know how to do it safely.
- A DIY testing kit is merely some standard protective equipment to take some samples from the ACM. You still need to send the samples to a lab to get further analysis
These are the main reasons why you should not take an asbestos testing Perth on your own.
Nevertheless, you need to understand as well how the professional perform the testing procedure. Therefore, you will know whether the testing process is conducted properly.
The following testing procedure is described briefly to provide you with a better insight of the process.
- Visual inspection – a licensed assessor will visit your place and check the location visually. Since this assessor has gone through a vast amount of training and experience, he manages to identify ACMs just by looking at it.
- When the assessor is in doubt with certain material, he will start the testing procedure by taking some samples from the suspected material. The sampling process must be performed as if the material is an ACM. Each sample is taken in a size of a coin or a spoonful of material dust. During the sampling procedure, the assessor will use some protective gear to protect him from any possibility of exposure. Afterwards, the samples are sent to a lab approved for an asbestos analysis.
- The final report is a combination of the assessor inspection and the lab result. This report is a useful resource to determine the next step if the building is considered as an asbestos contaminated area.
Up to this part, you should have understood about asbestos testing Perth works. You can visit your local council to get more information about asbestos and how to deal with it securely.